Truck and Tractor-Trailer Accidents
Motor vehicle collisions can cause drivers, passengers, and pedestrians serious injuries. When accidents involve commercial vehicles such as semi-trucks and trucks with tractor-trailers, the injuries can be severe. Due to its massive size, if a semi-truck swerves and blocks several lanes on a highway, the number of fatalities can rise to tragic levels.
Commercial drivers should undergo extra training so that they can safely operate large vehicles. Nonetheless, negligent truck and tractor-trailer drivers can cause some of the most devastating collisions.
If you have suffered from a truck or tractor-trailer accident in Northern Virginia, it would be beneficial to speak to a skilled Northern Virginia personal injury attorney. At Priale & Racine Attorneys at Law PLLC, we take all of our clients’ cases extremely seriously. We understand how challenging it is to recover from a truck accident.
Many of our injured clients are also trying to cope with mounting medical bills and a lack of income if they need to take time off of work to heal. If you are contemplating the best way to proceed in seeking compensation for your injuries, we can help. Contact our law firm today for your free case evaluation.
The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) found that in 2018, 2,540 traffic crashes involved large trucks. The DMV included all of the following vehicles into the category of large trucks — tractor-trailers, semi-trucks, or double trucks.
Sadly, 49 people died and 842 people suffered injuries resulting from large truck collisions in 2018. The DMV reports that the following truck driver actions caused crashes in 2018:
- Improper lane change
- Driving at excessive speed
- Driving through red lights
- Not turning on truck lights
- Failure to pass safely
- Unsafe turns
- Unsafe passing of other cars or trucks
- Improper backing up
- Improper or unlawful parking
- Engaging in a “hit and run” by leaving the accident scene
- Following the vehicle ahead too closely
- Failing to yield to another car properly
- Failure to avoid hitting a pedestrian
- Avoiding other cars in an unsafe manner
In many instances, collisions involving semi-trucks or tractor-trailers involve multiple vehicles. Discovering which parties are at fault can be a challenge in these cases. All parties involved have a stake in avoiding liability. If you have suffered an injury in a truck or tractor-trailer accident, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against any of the following parties if their negligence caused your accident:
- The employer of a commercial truck driver for negligent employment
- The manufacturer of the truck
- The owner or lessee of the semi-truck or tractor-trailer
- The employer of the semi-truck or tractor-trailer for failure to safely maintain the vehicle
- The mechanic of the vehicle for failure to safely maintain or repair the truck
- The truck driver himself or herself for negligent driving or failing to keep the truck or tractor-trailer safely
- A government entity such as the city or town in which the accident occurred if they failed to maintain the road or post adequate signage safely
- The loader of the commercial truck if he or she unsafely loaded the truck
- Other negligent drivers if their negligence contributed to the collision
Why Hiring an Experienced Attorney is Vital in Truck and Tractor-Trailer Accidents
As you can see, determining who is at fault can be difficult in truck and tractor-trailer collisions. Virginia follows the contributory negligence rule. If you are injured and bring a lawsuit against a negligent driver, you cannot recover if you were even 1% at fault for the accident. Our attorneys have years of experience fighting on behalf of our clients.
If hired, we will conduct a thorough and timely investigation into your crash. We will investigate the condition of the tractor-trailer, the driver’s cell phone records, employer logbooks, and shipping records. Our experienced attorneys know how to ensure that the defense team does not destroy or lose significant evidence.
We work with experts when necessary to demonstrate the fault of the truck or tractor-trailer driver. After analyzing all of the evidence, we advise our clients as to their best legal options.
If it becomes necessary to bring your case to trial, our experienced North Virginia trial lawyers will fight assertively for your interests in court. If you are ready to receive your free case evaluation, contact our law firm today.
other Practice Areas
Criminal Defense Law
Being charged with a crime can be a frightening experience for anyone. Misdemeanor or felony, your freedom, finances, and future…
Moving to a new country can be stressful enough, but US immigration laws don’t make the process any easier…
Whether you want to obtain a visa, you are suffering from a personal injury, or you’ve been charged with a crime, you’ll get qualified legal help from Priale & Racine.
need & deserve
Built on a foundation of helping people successfully resolve their legal problems. We invest in our clients’ well-being. We treat your case as if it’s our own and will do everything we can to get you the outcome you need and deserve.